Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cha- Cha- Cha- Cha- Changes

So, Justin and I have some changes coming up- well I have changes, Justin is just along for the ride. I have officially decided to change me major; shocked much? I know, I am too. However, I was sitting at work [at the library] the other day trying to study for my financial accounting class- I was almost to the point of tears when it just clicked in my head that accounting isn't what I want to do anymore. In high school, when we did the simple accounting stuff, I loved it but now that it's more indepth and there's so much more to understand I realized that it just doesn't interest me anymore. I don't want to sit in front of a computer 8+ hours a day and look at numbers. I have, instead, decided to major in MARKETING. I'm taking a marketing class right now and I love it- a big hint that accounting wasn't for me was that I liked all my other classes way better than my AC classes. I met with my professor and another marketing professor today and met with an advisor yesterday. Academically nothing will change. All of my classes will be applied to my marketing degree, however, I will be dropping my two accounting courses this semester. I will also be doing a double specialization in accounting and consumer marketing- I know, I know, it doesn't make much sense BUT doing the accounting specialization will give me a little extra in the employment market. I'll have to retake my AC310 class a different semester with a different teacher; we have an exam on Tuesday and he just goes way too fast for me so I'm not going to let it hurt my GPA; I'll also be dropping my tax class this semester and take an accounting computer class in a different semester. If I weren't doing the double specialization I would graduate on time, next Spring, but since I'll be taking 9 extra classes than I need I won't graduate until next Summer 2012- which still isn't bad at all.

Now, since accounting isn't what I want to do anymore I won't be keeping this new job. I told my boss that if I knew I was going to change my major I would have never applied for the job. She wants me to stay 2 weeks to see if I change my mind and if I don't that way she'll have enough time to find someone new. I doubt I'll change my mind. I don't like the job very much- all the have me do for 4 1/2 hours is data entry and I don't even know how to do to it. The girl that is training me also has her own job to do so she can't watch over me and make sure I'm doing it right all the time. They tell me to do something and they expect me to know how to do it- knowing I don't have any kind of experience with Quickbooks or data entry. The job, and major, just isn't what I expected at all and I won't be happy staying at this job- it's pitiful when the highlight of my work day is running errands.

Justin, Mom, Dad, Elaine, Allison, and Bubby have all been very supportive which has really helped. I'm just happy I decided this now and not after I've gone through 2 years of upper division accounting classes!

Dad finally finished his pilot training for Southwest. He's in Vegas today and tomorrow and then he goes on his first flight this weekend. It's pretty exciting to say that my dad is officially a pilot for Southwest. Please pray that he has a safe trip/flight!

No comments:

Post a Comment