Monday, May 25, 2015

Sun-Shiny Day

Not much has happened since my last post in regards to Justin's training. He didn't fly at all last week due to weather so he mainly just sat around at work and studied. He did one sim and had a few classes to go to, but other than that it was a pretty slow week for him.

He got a 4-day weekend for Memorial Day so that was a nice change-of-pace. We went to San Antonio Thursday night and came home Friday afternoon. We had planned to stay longer but 1) the hotel was too disgusting to stay in longer than one night and it was too expensive to book another hotel at the last minute and 2) we were supposed to be getting a lot of rain over the weekend so we knew most of our plans would be cancelled. We got in kind of late on Thursday so we just watched tv at the hotel and went to sleep. We woke up Friday, got breakfast, packed up our stuff, checked-out of the hotel, and headed to The Riverwalk. We had been last Fall, but it was so crowded and we didn't explore very much so we figured we'd give it another try; it also helped that it is dog-friendly! We walked around for about 3 hours and it was SO NICE. The weather was perfect, but since it was a little overcast and mid-morning on a Friday there was hardly anyone there. It felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. We walked around and got lunch at a Mexican restaurant (where they served white cheese dip- hallelujah!); we spent about 3 hours exploring. I wanted to do the riverboat cruise, but they didn't allow dogs so we'll have to try that on the next trip.






My lunch view.

Even the restaurant was dog-friendly!






The Cathedral of San Fernando. Obviously we aren't catholic, but it's one of the oldest cathedrals in the U.S., and the oldest in Texas, so it was pretty neat to see. 

Little town square-type thing in front of the cathedral.

Next time we'll have to leave the dogs at the hotel so we can go inside.






After exploring The Riverwalk area we decided to head on home. We made it back around mid-afternoon so Justin spent the evening cleaning his truck; it got a TON of bugs on it on the drive to and from San An. I wasn't feeling well so I took some medicine and was down-for-the-count Friday evening and Saturday morning. I started feeling a little better Saturday afternoon, but still wasn't able to do too much. Sunday I was feeling a good bit better so we spent the day taking care of things around the house (well, Justin more than me) and then we went on a family bike ride! I had been wanting to get a bike pretty much since we moved here, but I finally did it last week in hopes that we could ride our bikes in San An (we scratched that idea Thursday before we left because of the expected rain). Originally I was going to just buy baskets that go on the front and back of the bike so we could take the dogs with us, but those things were expensive... But, yay for me I found a better and cheaper option: a bike trailer! It's meant for kids, but it works great for dogs too. I got it all set up yesterday and we hooked it up to my bike and we were off on a quick bike-ride around the neighborhood. Sophie was a trooper and just enjoyed the ride; Bear, not so much. Since I was pulling the dogs (Justin is too embarrassed to tow the trailer on his bike) I couldn't see what they were doing, but Justin said that Bear was trying to get out of the trailer the whole time. Luckily there is a mesh net keeping them in so he couldn't jump out and hurt himself, but he definitely wanted out. I'm hoping that once I take him on a few rides he'll eventually get used to it. The trailer was very easy to pull on my bike and it took the turns really well so other than Bear's dislike for it, it has worked out nicely!


We woke up this morning to the sound of the tornado siren. We made it almost 11 months without having a tornado warning; I think that's a record. We were lucky and didn't get hit by a tornado, but Ciudad Acuna, the Mexican border town 3 miles away, got hit and 10 people died, last we heard. It always blows my mind that when you have tornadoes the rest of the day goes on like nothing happened; it is sunny right now without a cloud in the sky and has been all afternoon! I saw on Facebook that Acuna really needed donations so we ran to Wal-Mart and grabbed a few things to donate. Since then I've seen that they've collected a lot of donations from the base to take over there so let's pray that it's enough to help out! I'm really not sure how bad the town was hit or what size tornado it was.

Justin goes back to work tomorrow and we're hoping he'll actually get to fly some this week. Since it's been so long since he flew he'll be getting a "freebie" flight and then he'll have two more graded flights before he gets to do his check-ride. Apparently Thursday and Friday are "down days" which means there will be no flying so expect Justin to check-ride next week, at the earliest. I'll send out an email, not a blog, AFTER he check-rides to let everyone know how it went. The IPs have told the students that, on average, 60% of students fail it on their first try so definitely be sending up as many prayers as you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment