Monday, October 13, 2014

Falling for Fall

Well, as you can tell I didn't get to write an update last weekend and that's because I didn't start work the Friday I was supposed to. I didn't end up starting work until last Tuesday. I did training all day Tuesday and Wednesday, was off on Thursday, and then started actually working with the kids on Friday. The job is a mix between babysitting and teaching. With the younger kids (2 and younger) it's much more a babysitting job and with the 3-5 year olds it's more a teaching job. It seems like I will be working with all the different ages instead of one age all the time and that I'll pretty much have a different schedule every day; they'll just put me where they need me and use me when they need me. On Friday I was in the 1-2 year old classroom and when I go back to work on Wednesday I will probably be in a different classroom. Until my background check clears I will always be working with another program assistant, but once I'm cleared I will be able to be with the children without anyone else there; a little scary, but that won't be for another month or two so hopefully I'll be more comfortable by then.

Justin is getting into the swing of things at his new job. Even though his title is "T-1 Maintenance" he basically just marshals the aircrafts in and out. He said there is a lot of down time at work, but it's better than other jobs he's heard of. He has to go in at 6:30am and gets off around 1pm. He's a morning person so he doesn't mind the early wake-up call and he likes having the rest of the day to do what he wants.

We were both off for Columbus Day so we decided to spend the weekend in San Antonio. We left Friday after I got off of work and spent Saturday touring The Riverwalk, The Alamo, and shopping. We had planned to stay until today, but I got a headcold Friday night and didn't think I could handle another day of exploring San Antonio so we decided to head home yesterday. We got home around 2pm and spent the rest of the day resting up and taking medicine. I woke up today feeling much better and only have a few symptoms now. Today was the first day that it's really felt like Fall (the high was only 81) and it's been awfully windy. We decided to put our windows up and decorate the house for Fall. We went out around lunch time to eat and buy a few decorations for the house. Once we got home I got to decorating while Justin built a hanging plant "hanger." Right now we have the windows up, Fall candles lit, and are watching tv on the couch. It's suppose to get hotter during the week so we are making the most of our Fall weather for the day we have it.

Our new Fall tablescape. The lanterns came with faux lighted candles than can be turned off, on, or put on a timer.


Tea light coffee table centerpiece.

Entry way with another fake candle in the lantern.

Our hydrangeas have almost died on us. I keep trying to talk Justin into returning them to Wal-Mart, but he isn't ready to give up on them yet. I guess dead hydrangeas are easy decor for Halloween!

Those pumpkins are one of the first projects Justin made with his woodworking tools.

This is the hanging plant "hanger" Justin made for us. I wanted it to go by the front door, but it is way too big to fit on our nonexistent porch so we decided to put it by the backdoor instead.

Since it feels so much like Fall I decided to try a Broccoli and Cheese Soup recipe. I'm trying to find and cook more crockpot recipes since Justin and I are both working now so hopefully this recipe will turn out as yummy as I'm hoping it'll be!

Laughlin AFB is going to be celebrating Oktoberfest this month so we are thinking about going. It's suppose to be very family friendly so it won't be like what I picture a "real" Oktoberfest to be. The fee includes a lot of German-style food, a commemorative beer stein, and a raffle ticket. Hopefully ours is as much fun as Barksdale's looked!

That's all I have for now. We hope everyone is doing well and is getting to enjoy some Fall weather too!

No comments:

Post a Comment