Saturday, September 3, 2011

Yea, Alabama!


Bama won 48-7 today against Kent State! ROLL TIDE! Today started off early for Justin and me... Last night we went to bed around 10pm, I got woken up at 11pm to let Sophie out, and then we woke up at 6am this morning. The game started at 11:20am, but we were on campus by 730am- we found out that if we get there early enough we can park at the Rec Center where students park for free! We had planned on tailgating at the Det with Justin's ROTC friends at 8am, but when we got there everyone was locked out of the room they needed to get into to get set up. After waiting for 30 minutes someone got smart and went downstairs to get chairs and a tent and we set up outside on the lawn. They had baby muffins and chicken minis from Chic-Fil-A. Even though Justin ate at the house he still had a handful of muffins and another handful of chicken minis PLUS the Army guys offered their food, since the National Guard catered them for free, so he grabbed himself a chicken biscuit and a hashbrown. After he finished I asked if he was finally full and he said "I was full a long time ago."- what a man! Anyhoo... We just sat around at the Det until 920am and then we walked over to the stadium. We didn't have any problems getting into the stadium, no long lines at all! UA does a thing where student organizations can reserve seating and it just so happens that ROTC has a section, so we sat there today. The section is in a pretty good spot for being in an endzone! I was doing pretty up until the 2nd quarter... I was NOT feeling good at all. I had made sure to keep hydrated because I know how easy I get headaches when I'm out in the heat, but having only had a jelly biscuit at 7am and then going until 1230pm before I had a greesy hotdog, my stomach felt like it had heartburn. I had thought to bring Tylenol for a headache, but bringing Tums for my stomach didn't even cross my mind- I'll know next time! About 5 minutes before halftime was over I decided I couldn't take it anymore- I was exhausted, hot, sweaty, and my stomach felt like a bowl full of acid. I convinced Justin to stay at the game and I headed to the car. I was home for about 1 1/2 hours before I had to head back to town to pick Justin up- the whole trip took about 45-60 minutes when usually it would have only been about 20. Once we got home we ate some lunch and I went straight to take a nap. I slept from about 4pm-6pm... I have no idea what Justin did while I was asleep- I was KNOCKED out. The only reason I woke up was because Justin's rude-self came in the bedroom and turned on our overhead light and told me to wake up; I would have been just fine sleeping til tomorrow! Now we're in the living room switching between the Oregon/LSU and Georgia/Boise State games. I'm still so exhausted I don't know how much longer I'm going to last- I think I'm getting sick; my throat has been VERY scratchy all day today.

This week word spread across campus and Facebook that Kent State players were in Tuscaloosa helping rebuild homes... Because of this generosity all, and I mean ALL, of the UA students decided to applaude Kent State when they entered the stadium instead of the usual booing. It was really nice to see that we were able to get the message out to everyone, BUT I think the sentiment was somewhat lost due to the fact that any time Kent State would come out Bama would too which made it seem like we were cheering for UA. Maybe they still noticed that we didn't boo them and when we did cheer for UA it was much louder so let's hope they could tell the difference and they know how much we appreciate what they did for our town!

Overall, today has been a pretty good day. We're both excited that football season is finally here and we have tickets to all the home games! Hopefully the next game will be better... It starts at 630pm which means I can get plenty of sleep, food, and be out of the sun! Which reminds me, I have a tan line from my shorts and my head is burnt where my hair parts. Justin's neck is pretty dark, but I wouldn't say it's burnt, and he has a pretty good tan that is VERY noticeable when he takes his watch off.

Until next time- ROLL TIDE!

No comments:

Post a Comment