Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Everything Changes, Nothing Stays the Same

Well amen to that! I have once again, and finally!, decided to change my major. If you recall, I changed from accounting to marketing in March or so... WELL now I am changing completely out of the business school. I've changed to Elementary Education! I know, I know, big difference. I've always wanted to be a teacher, but I didn't think it would make me enough money to support myself... But, now that I'm married and have a double income household I'm not so worried with trying to make $100,000 a year versus being happy with my job. Since I'm completely changing my major I will be "losing" [they'll just turn into electives] most of my business classes, but the good news is that I have completed so many business classes that I can graduate with a minor in general business [business administration]. This way taking all the business classes wasn't a waste and the advisor I talked to said that a general business minor could help me later on if I ever wanted to move up in the administrative ranks, like becoming a principal for instance.

I did find out that I have to take a few more general studies classes next semester- I have to have another science [which Justin and I are going to take together if we can work it out!], computer, music [which will teach me how to read music so I'll be forced how to learn to play my piano Justin bought me last Christmas!], and then I believe two education courses. Once I complete all of those I should be good to start the upper-level education courses. Since I will be basically starting over from scratch I won't graduate until Justin does in May 2014, but that works out perfectly. I'll be certified to teach in Alabama, but the advisor said UA has a reciprocity agreement with many states where I can be certified there as well so that'll be good if Justin can get into the AF right out of school. I copy and pasted this straight from UA's website:
"Q: Will my certification be accepted in other states?
A: The University of Alabama’s teacher education programs are fully accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). Therefore, once you have completed your program and received certification, your certification will be accepted via reciprocity by a vast majority of states around the country. The College encourages students who plan to teach in states other than Alabama to seek advice from those state certification agencies to ensure compliance with specific state requirements."
I'm going to be taking 5 classes almost every semester because they require that you take certain classes together, but they don't offer the classes I need to take over summer so that means I have two guaranteed summers off!

Since I've changed from Marketing I decided to drop the one Marketing course I was taking this semester. Now I'm taking two classes on campus and one online. I go to class on M&W&F 8-850am and T&Th 8-915am. Since I dropped below full-time status I can't work at the library anymore and I told my boss I wasn't planning on coming back next semester either since I hear that the education program is intense and requires a lot of dedication. So, I will have a lot of free time this semester whereas Justin is always off doing something with ROTC! Good news for Justin though... EA's will be finalized in January so he only has to stress out and make a good impression this semester. He doesn't know when he'll find out if he got a spot to field training, but at least he knows it'll be finalized in January so he can relax a little bit.

Nothing else is really going on with us. Hope everything is good with yall!

No comments:

Post a Comment