Sunday, October 7, 2012

Oh, How Times Flies!

Justin and I just got back from visiting the Troyer's in Louisiana... We had Thursday and Friday off from school for a mid-semester break and we decided to drive out to Barksdale since we haven't seen them all since MAY! It was by far the longest stint we've pulled since they moved back to the US. Even though it was only 3ish days we had a good time. I feel like we didn't stop going! Yesterday was a nice day, though, because it was cold and gloomy outside- perfect weather to be lazy around the house and watch movies!! Mara was a little jabber-jaws which makes it all the more fun now that she can really interact with us. When I first walked in the door she yelled "Aunt Rayyyy!" and was coming to give me a hug, but then she saw Sophie and yelled "Sophie" and totally by-passed me to give Sophie my hug... What a stinker! We're all chopped liver to Mara when Sophie is around. All us grown-ups stayed up on Friday and Saturday to play games and it was fun, like always. I think we need to start investing in new games though... We've about played all of the ones in the closet.

I can't believe Justin and I are already halfway done with the semester. We just have to get through October and November and then we're pretty much done- the first week of December is "dead week" where teachers aren't supposed to teach us anything new and then the next week is finals week. I actually don't think I have any finals during finals week... I think all the classes that are giving me a final are giving it to the class during the regular semester. Lucky me! Justin has finals during finals week so we won't be able to go anywhere early. We are planning to go to Enterprise the weekend after finals to go to Mrs. Phyllis' family's Christmas, then we'll come home for a few days, and then we'll go back to Enterprise for a week which will be split between my family and Justin's. We will be all over the place!

I have an interview on Thursday for the TEP Program (Teacher Education Preparation Program). I had to do a writing exam a few Thursdays ago and now I have to do this interview. My teacher was saying it only lasts about 10 minutes and they just ask you basic questions about why you chose teaching, what's important about teaching, etc. to make sure you're in it for the right reasons. Once I'm done with the interview, assuming I do good, I should be good-to-go to be admitted to TEP. If I'm not admitted to TEP I will have to major in something else so please pray that I do well!

Justin is pretty much guaranteed a spot in the Air Force now! The last 2 1/2 years has been small stepping stones, but he has finally done everything he needs to to get an officer spot. He went to FT this summer as you all know, but he also had to take a test (AFOQT- AF Officer Qualifying Test). He was pretty nervous about it because he knows people that have failed it and said it was kinda tough, but thank God he passed the first time (you only have 2 chances to pass before you're kicked out of ROTC and can't do AF at all)! He's not real pleased with his scores, but all we prayed for was for him to pass and the good Lord answered that prayer. He also had to take another test to determine if he can be a pilot or not, but that didn't have anything to do with him going into the AF. He will know around February if he gets a pilot slot or not... One of his ROTC teachers said he has a moderate chance because his scores on the AFOQT pilot and nav section and the TBAS weren't that great, but he's been doing so good in other areas that that can save him. If he doesn't get a pilot slot it'll be even longer before we find out what job he's going to have. I don't even care at this point when we find out... I'm just glad he's pretty much guaranteed a spot in the AF as long as he doesn't have any unexpected health issues.

I know this post is all over the place, but I've started observing in the elementary schools and I L-O-V-E, LOVE it! For my reading class I actually help 1 student with her reading... I kinda of enjoy that, but the little girl is hard to keep on task and I only have 27-28 minutes to teach her so I really need her to focus because my grade depends on it! I really enjoy going into the elementary school for my general education class... I'm observing 1st graders and they are all so sweet. I go to the school every Wednesday from 8-11am and then every other Tuesday from 1-2:53pm. I already know all the kids' names and they all fight over my attention which is sweet in an odd way. My supervising teacher is an older lady, late 40s/early 50s, but she is really nice and very welcoming. I'm lucky I got her... Quite a few of my friends said that their teachers are not very welcoming and they aren't really helpful either. I also got lucky because my school is about 10 minutes away from the house! But, that does mean that next semester my school will be a good 30-40 minutes away.

Mom is trying to come up in a few weekends to go to an art festival being held in Northport (the town right next to us). She'll only be here for the weekend, but I may go to the festival with her and see what it has to offer!

Since I've been WAY busier this semester than I had ever imagined, I had to quit my job at the library. I only worked there 11.25 hours a week, when there weren't home football games, and I was having to give up shifts all the time so I could do homework and meet with groups. If I could actually do homework at the library I would have been able to keep the job, but since they don't let us use computers/iPads/iPhones I can't do the homework I need to do and then that became a problem when I couldn't find someone to take my shift. I have a HUGE weight lifted off my shoulders now that I don't have to worry about if someone can take my shift or not... Plus now that Justin gets paid $450 a month for ROTC it takes the place of my job. Hallelujah!

I think that's all the high points from the last few weeks... Sorry it's been so long since I last posted! Love yall and hope you have a GREAT October! I'm SO SO SO glad Fall is finally settling in.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment