This is a link to a description of the classes that have practicum/clinical components that I am required to take before I graduate. This is strictly for elementary education majors so every class listed is one I will take eventually. I am currently taking SPE 300 and have already finished my 10 hour practicum- which I completed at RISE [you can probably find it on UA's website or just a general web search if you're interested in learning more about the environment I was in!]. I am registered to take CEE 320, CRD 369, and MUE 385 in the Fall. I just figured this would be more informative for yall than me trying to explain it! I know it says that CEE320 requires a 40 hour practicum, but since I'm also going to be taking CRD and MUE I will actually be in the schools more than 40 hours because, from what I understand, those two classes are not figured into the 40 hour CEE practicum.
Also, about my final semester internship... I learned through my education orientation class that we get 2 absences while we are interning- must be excused by illness or death. However, they do have an option where students can go to a school on the first day of the year [in August only- can't do it the first day back after Christmas break!] and earn a 3rd absence which some students use to go on interviews and such. I am hoping to do this this Fall at College St. Elementary in Enterprise, where I went for 4-6th grade. Also, in order for this to count as an absence later on during your internship you HAVE to stay the whole day [usually 715-315] and it has to be your field- hence the elementary school. I'm pretty excited especially since my internship is during the Spring and I will never get to be in a school on the first day of classes so now I get to see how things are done from a teacher's perspective!
Another exciting thing about my internship... I am LOOKING, only looking!, into teaching abroad. It's the same concept as study abroad, but I'll just be doing my teaching internship instead. The program is called COST and here is a link to it's website:
http://www.kent.edu/ehhs/ciie/cost/programdescription.cfm
Like I said, I'm only looking into it right now. If I decided I wanted to do it I'd have to apply a year in advance of my internship- so next Spring. Obviously I still have a while to do more research and make a decision. My teacher said, though, that it's a really good opportunity for future teachers because it can give you a leg-up on the competition. Employers want well-rounded teachers and I would be able to bring what I learned first-hand from the culture into my classroom and teach my students. Also, I'd be exposed to a lot of diversity which employers REALLY like in teachers! I saw where I, sort of, have a choice of where I go- I list the top 4 places I want to go- but there is no guarantee I'll get a placement at one of them. I'm really interested in the Thessaloniki, Greece site so hopefully I could go there if I do the program!
Well, that's all for now. Justin and I leave for Enterprise tomorrow evening and will be home Sunday afternoon. Please pray we have safe travels and we get to miss the storms that are supposed to be happening tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment