Yep, today is Justin's birthday! He is no longer a teenager and we are both "old" now. Unfortunately for Justin today wasn't very eventful. I had planned to take him golfing, but the weather said there was a 70% chance of rain so we called it off... Well, isn't it our luck that it didn't rain a drop at all today! The weather was gorgeous and just perfect for golfing. Hopefully I can take him before school starts since I'm sure he won't have any time during the semester. I had fully planned on waking up at 8 this moring and making HIM breakfast, for once, but all the late night's I've been having caught up with me and I slept until 11. We did get to go out for lunch though. We wanted to try something different, but the first place we wanted to try was closed so we decided to try a Thai place. Let's just say: FAIL! Justin got a chicken noodle bowl and I got broccoli and chicken stir fry. You wouldn't think you could go wrong with that, but apparently you can. My stir fry was definitely better than Justin's food, but I didn't really like the sauce it came with- it was a type of soy sauce, which I already don't particularly like. Not only was our main meal yuck, but the appetizer was coconut soup- what the heck?! So gross. We will never go to that place again. After lunch we went to Academy [a sporting goods store] because Justin wanted to get a hip holster for our pistol so he can have it on him at night when he let's the dogs out. Eventually we made it home and had ice cream cake, from Diary Queen, for dessert- Mrs. Phyllis gave me some money to buy it specifically for Justin's birthday since she knows he loves it so much. We lucked out and got a chocolate extreme cake- 1 layer of chocolate ice cream with brownie chunks, 1 layer of cookie crumbles, 1 layer of fudge, and 1 layer of plain chocolate ice cream; best ice cream cake, EVER. Ever since then our day has been normal. He played his Playstation for a little while while I watched Gossip Girl on Netflix- I'm trying to watch all the episodes before school and the new season starts!
Justin and I have been pretty productive since coming home. I have been doing school work the last few days... Yes, it is possible to have school work even though I have no classes right now. I took a finance class over summer and I never finished it. The teacher let's you retake quizzes and exams over and over until you get the grade you want and then he'll change your grade for you even though you aren't, techincally, taking the class anymore. Well, over summer I took advantage of that and I didn't take my final knowing that I could take it at a later date... I ended up with a D+ in the class, which is good considering I made a "0" on the final. I wasn't planning on ever taking the final since I changed my major and don't really need that class, but it KILLS me knowing that I have a D+ on my transcript and it affects my UA GPA a little bit since I haven't taken many classes there yet. I decided that I should just study over the break when I don't have other classes to distract me so I'm studying little by little every day. This class is basically ALL, no exaggeration here, memorization so it's going to take me a little longer than it usually would to be ready for the exam- especially since it's essentially a math class and when you have to learn 50+ math problems in a short period of time they tend to run together. In other schoolish related news... We cleaned out and organized our computer room; it has been serving as our junk room for the last year. Now we can actually move around without stubbing our toes on folders AND I can finally use my computer desk as a computer desk instead of a "bookcase." Speaking of, we bought a cheap bookcase to put all our school folders on and the few books we have as well as all my cookbooks- I had them in the kitchen, but we had to make room for our new griddle and pizza maker. I also have Justin's knock-off iHome on the bookcase with my old iPod hooked up to it since we finally found its remote while we were in Enterprise. Justin also hooked up our new ceiling light that Mrs. Phyllis got on sale for $6, regular $120! Justin had done something with our old fan/light a few months ago and when he hooked it back up the light never would work so we have been working in poor light for the better part of 4 months and it was so annoying having to walk into a dark room and feel your way across it to turn on the lamp. BUT, thanks to Justin and Mrs. Phyllis we have a wonderfully cute "chandelier" that gives off a TON of light. Justin has also mowed and edged the yard with his new Christmas gifts and he cleaned out and organized our shed. That thing was a hot mess and I'm so glad that he thought to clean it out. Justin also put some sealing stuff on our roof where our porch roof connects to the house so hopefully it'll stop leaking and we can actually use the porch when it rains! We had planned on seeing if it was going to work today, but since it didn't rain we'll have to wait. We bought some little "alarms" from WalMart that we put on our front and back door. When we first moved into the house we had an alarm system hooked up, even though it wasn't monitored, but a few months after moving in one of the magnets fell off the back door and it threw off the whole system. We don't want to pay for someone to fix it since we don't plan on getting it monitored, but I don't like not having some kind of security. These alarms have an "off", "chime", and "alarm" setting and we just put it on alarm when we go to bed so we know if someone is breaking in. I sleep a little better at night and it was way cheaper than getting someone to fix our old alarm. I think the only thing left we want to do before school starts is put some caulking in our bathroom. We have some fake tile that goes around our bathtub, but it's peeling away from our wall so we want to see if caulking will hold it in place. Plus, we need to add some in our shower so water doesn't get back behind the shower wall and rot it out. So like I said, we've {Justin more than me} been pretty productive the last week or so.
Monday is the big game! Justin and I had planned on inviting his SOP teammates over to watch it, but some are going to the game, some will still be out of town, and some are allergic to cats so it looks like it'll just be us two. I'm fine with that, though, since that means I can stay in my pjs and I won't have to put on makeup! Let's hope Alabama wins it- it'll be pretty awesome to say we went to UA when they won their 14th National Championship... Not to mention I'd like to shove it in a few Auburn and LSU fan's faces ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment