Sunday, March 15, 2015

It's Going to be a Bumpy Ride

Sorry it has taken me so long to send out an update about Justin’s Dollar Ride… 

Long story short, Justin ended up getting sick so he wasn’t able to do much of anything during the flight. We think his nerves got the best of him because he said he was feeling sick before they even got flying and it just got worse, so we’re hopeful that it wasn’t the actual flying that made him sick. I even packed him a bland lunch in hopes that he wouldn't get sick, but obviously it didn't help.

Peaches, saltines, peanut butter sandwich, wheat thins, peanut butter, a banana, pretzels, and granola.

He has his second flight on Monday at 4pm so we will be praying that it goes better than his Dollar Ride. The weather was so perfect last week (it was so nice that I would kick the dogs outside in the morning with food and water and literally leave them outside ALL DAY- it was fabulous!) so our fingers are crossed for the weather to be just as good this week for Justin’s flights! 

Forcing the dogs to enjoy the weather.

Our yard turns into a petting zoo during the day with all the birds and squirrels that come around to feed.

As you can imagine this weekend was filled with studying. Justin relaxed most of Friday night and Saturday morning (catching up on social media and watching our recorded TV shows), but the rest of the time was spent at the computer or studying with a friend. We had one guy over last night (also named Justin) so they could study together; his wife is back home for Spring Break so we had him stay for supper too. Since the guys were studying I cooked everything, which normally isn't a big deal, but this meal included grilled chicken! I've only ever grilled hotdogs and I tried chicken one other time, but it never did cook so Justin had to step in... Well, I have to say my second shot at grilling was a much bigger success. I had to interrupt the study session a few times to ask for instructions, but the chicken was finished on time, wasn't raw, and it wasn't too over cooked either... I was rather proud of myself and the Justins said it was good, so I'm going to believe them and not wonder if they really meant it or if they were just being nice.

Baked potatoes, corn, and BBQ chicken all cooked by yours truly.

We managed to go to “real” church this morning instead of just watching it on tv. We had gone to the base chapel a few times when we first moved here, but it was pretty disappointing so we started watching Joel Osteen every Sunday. Last week, though, I saw someone on the LAFB Wives’ Facebook page ask for church recommendations and quite a few people recommended Del Rio Bible Church so I told Justin that we should try it this Sunday. It’s a small church, but bigger than the base chapel, and is about 20 minutes away from the house. The church has a large military population so Justin ran into a few people from his class, some guys he worked with during his T-1 maintenance days, as well as a sim instructor that he had worked with last week. We also met a guy during the “meet and greet” who is in the same class as two guys we met through our old neighbors, Danny and Julia. The associate pastor heard us mention to someone that it was our first time at the church so he introduced himself, offered to recommend some other churches if we wanted to try some out, and sent us home with a “welcome bag.” It was a nice experience so I think we'll try to make it back next week; we may even try the earlier service that the other people in Justin's class go to.

That's all for now. I'll try to send out an email update in the middle of the week, but if there isn't anything big to report I will hold off until Justin finishes up the week and send out a weekend update.

No comments:

Post a Comment